- by Andrew Gould
You may be shopping around for a new gaming computer. Where do you start? Here are a few quick tips to help you get the most bang for your buck.
1. CPU: Look for at least 4 cores. The Intel i7 is your best bet. During game play, the CPU acts primarily to process the non-graphical operations like artificial intelligence, physics, and other elements that are going on in the background. Your CPU should also be cooled properly, this will provide maximum stability and prolong the life. Ask about liquid cooling options.
2. RAM: For gaming, look for at least 8GB of RAM (Random Access Memory), the more RAM the better because Windows automatically uses every bit of RAM it can for storage of frequently used files on your computer (called write-caching), reducing the amount of hard drive activity, and providing a large “pool” of very high speed data. RAM is also susceptible to excessive heat, so ask for RAM with a built-in heat sink.
3. Hard drive: When it comes to maximum performance, ask for a SSD (Solid State Drive). You have to experience a SSD to appreciate the performance boost this provides every aspect of computing, especially gaming. To give you an example, typical Windows boot time is around 10-15 second depending on configuration! Stop in to C-Tech’s showroom to see just how impressive this technology is!
4. Graphics: Here is where things get interesting. You can spend as much as your budget allows to get the most out of your system. There is a definite price to performance sweet spot that is constantly changing as new technology emerges. The nice thing about a graphics card is that you can upgrade these, or even add multiple graphics cards (called an SLI configuration) if you want to crank up the display settings or run the latest game title. Upgrading is where a good motherboard comes into play. Having the right motherboard will allow for maximum expansion and getting the most life out of your system. Ask C-Tech which graphic card option is best suited for your needs, we keep up on this technology so you don’t have to!
5. Motherboard: Yes, motherboard. You may not think of it, but the motherboard can be a major bottleneck in speed if you don’t choose one with the right chip set and features. Many computer manufacturers will cut costs by going with a cheap motherboard which will absolutely kill performance and upgrade-ability. A good motherboard will allow you to have faster RAM clock speeds, as well as faster data transfer rates from your hard drive and graphic card, as well as give room for future upgrades to keep your system up to date and ready to play the latest titles.
6. Case and Power Supply: Having the right case will keep your system cool, and keep the components from wearing out prematurely due to excessive heat. Choosing the right case and fans will also keep your system from sounding like a jet engine getting ready to take off. Cases can also show off your unique personality by allowing you to customize it with graphics, lights, and other cool effects. You will need a power supply with plenty of Watts to drive your current system, as well as future graphic card upgrades.
7. Peripherals: Keyboard, mouse, game-pad, joystick. These devices can be as unique as the individual using them, and can give you many options like customizable macro keys for commonly used keystrokes, and improved ergonomics for prolonged game play to reduce repetitive stress and injury like tendinitis and carpal tunnel syndrome.
8. Display: Without a good display, all of the rest is a waste. Resolution is obviously a concern here, but there is so much more to a quality display than mere pixel count. C-Tech uses and sells only the highest quality displays, with the best picture quality available at an affordable price.
9. Sound: This is another area where you can really go all out if your budget permits. We recommend you start with a good two speaker setup with a separate sub-woofer if you want a good gaming experience. Another option would be to go with a good quality pair of wrap-around headphones--this will provide a rich sound experience without disturbing the neighbors.
- by Andrew Gould
You know exactly what you want from a computer, how much you would like to spend, what you need it to do, and how quickly you want to do it, but is that what you are actually buying? More importantly, does the person trying to sell you that computer or piece of hardware know what you need? How much time and experience do big box stores offer when catering to your specific situation? More than likely you will end up paying more for something you don’t need, or paying for something that is unreliable and unable to do everything you need it to do.
Do you need the latest graphics card to interact on Facebook, write emails, or manage your finances? Can you get by with an iPad if you need to create spreadsheets and presentations, share them with colleagues, and write lengthy essays or draft correspondences to business professionals? Can you edit hundreds of high resolution photographs, create DVD or Blu-ray movies, or manage your media library on a $400 computer from the supermarket?
Most likely not. You are busy, time is money. You probably don’t want to take weeks researching how your needs translate into Megahertz and Gigabytes. You want to spend your money wisely. That’s where decades of combined experience that come with a custom shop like C-Tech Solutions will help you decide what is right for you, and custom tailor a solution to your specific needs.
Each customer at C-Tech is an individual, not a number on a commission report. Your satisfaction is our goal. You want to walk away happy with the decision you’ve made, feel confident that you have purchased the highest quality hardware that will undoubtedly outlast any mass-manufactured system out there, and you won’t have to ship your computer half way around the world if something goes wrong with it.
With an average service turnaround time of mere days at C-Tech, you will never have to go weeks without your contacts, your workstation, your data, your personal information. When you walk into the store you are greeted by name, and everyone is given the highest priority, regardless of the account size. Too often tech companies give priority to large accounts, and neglect to take care of the individual. Sure they have a store, and they can service your computer, but how many weeks will it take? To them, you are a blip on their radar screen, you are a number, a fraction, a mere percentage, and it shows by the type of service you get.
So, whether it’s a tablet for surfing the web and posting on Twitter or Facebook, a high-end gaming machine, video editing workstation, or a pure productivity machine, stop in and see what C-Tech Solutions can do for you.
- by Andrew Gould
What is “Cloud Computing”, you might ask.
The “Cloud” is any time your data isn’t stored locally, but on a remote server. You may have reservations about your data being somewhere other than your local computer, tablet or smartphone, but the advantages of the Cloud far outweigh the disadvantages.
With the Cloud, you no longer have to worry about your data being lost if your device fails. How many times have you gone to your phone service provider and had to “transfer your contacts” with their special little machine in the back room. If you’re using a smartphone or a newer cell phone, all of your contacts are in the Cloud, and this method of transferring is no longer necessary. Think about the advantages if your phone gets lost or stolen! You no longer have to worry about losing all of your contacts or emails since they’re not stored on your phone, but in the Cloud!
You can access your data from anywhere in the world, with any device. You can go from drafting an email or document at work, to your home, to your phone, all using the same version of the document. You can also share documents and collaborate simultaneously, in real time, with other people. To share with others, you no longer do you have go through the old routine--save, upload, email, wait for revisions, email back, download, replace the old version, open, and view. It’s as simple as hitting a single button to “share” with others.
Ask how C-Tech Solutions can help you get all of your information synched to the Cloud.